During one of the many discussions on the subject, I decided to put my ideas on paper to illicit some discussion (see the image below) -- as the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words." Of course, these are pie-in-the-sky, unlimited budget ideas, but let me know what you think of the ideas presented or how you would fix what ails Main Street.
- Prioritize streets based on their best use (people streets, car streets, and shared spaces)
- Divert east & west flow-through traffic onto Hilyard Street, Paradise Row, and Chesley Drive, effectively creating a "Main Street Bypass"
- Reduce Main Street down to 2 or 3 lanes with on-street parking and active transportation facilities
- Develop mixed-use infill projects on the 10+ acres of freed-up land under the existing Main Street lanes (and collect those tax dollars!)
- Reduce the Viaduct to 4 or 5 lanes (or less!) with a dedicated pedestrian / cycle trail connecting to the Uptown, Harbour Passage, and the Boardwalk
- Remove the high-speed on/off ramps from the viaduct in favour of pedestrian-friendly intersections